Tuesday, January 19, 2010

2006 Avignonesi Vino Nobile di Montepulciano


I should not be drinking wine since I have no sense of smell -- it's really a waste. But I couldn't help myself tonight; I just wanted wine.

I almost always drink French wines, so I know very little about Italian varieties. But all the talk of wine in the SPQR novel series I've been reading had my curiosity peaked. This Vino Nobile is a Sangiovese blend, so it has that typical inky color (see my purple coq au vin, below) and is more enjoyable than many Rhones I've had. Not sure if it's the blend or the terrain or both that get's the credit for that. It's light, especially for a Sangiovese, and slightly acidic but still decently rounded. I taste blueberries and something akin to espresso in it. Its finish is a little long, but it doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth. I enjoyed it with my fish and think it would be fine drinking by itself up on the roof deck.

3.5 stars. Low $20s from Cork Market on 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment